On 4 June 2010 19:28, Rob Beard <r...@esdelle.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> At work we're looking at server virtualization, both to give us a bit
> more redundancy against hardware failure and also to try and cut down on
> our power requirements a bit by getting shot of some older servers (P3,
> early P4's).
>
> Now we already have two IBM x Series servers which are going on about 4
> years old.  The idea is to maybe replace these with something a bit
> newer and then re-use them for less mission critical uses.
>
> These servers have the old P4 based Xeons in them running at 3GHz.
> According to Intel's web site they don't support Intel-VT technology but
> they are 64-Bit capable (IIRC they support EM64T).  In the past I've
> played around with VMWare Server running on top of Linux (and Windows),
> in fact at home I have it running happy on my server with a couple of
> VM's chugging away.
>
> What I'd like to do though is use some bare metal virtualization.  I
> gather the newer virtualization software such as Microsoft Hyper-V,
> VMWare ESXi and KVM all require Intel-VT technology or AMD-V.  I
> wondered if anyone knew of any bare metal virtualization software that
> supports the older CPUs?
>
> I'm pretty certain an older version of ESXi did although when I last
> tried it a couple of years back it didn't support the hardware I tried
> it on (a bog standard Phenom X4 desktop PC).  I can't for the life of me
> find a download link for the older ESXi software (which I believe VMWare
> were starting to give away).
>
> So before I give up, does anyone know of anything that would be suitable
> which doesn't require Intel-VT or AMD-V?

Hello there, we have also just switched to virtualization, and we are
using Citrix XenServer, it's free. We were running on a Dell PowerEdge
750, which uses an old 2.4 dualcore Xeon chip. I would have a look at
that, it is really quite fantastic, and I think it runs on any chip,
but for Windows, you need the hardware virtualization. I know
Virtualbox will run anything on anything, so that's also worth a try.

Feel free to give me a bell for any info.

HTH,
Kris Douglas,

  NODE Computer Systems
  Servers - PCs - Design - Administration

  M. 07728574285

  Please consider the environment before you print this E-Mail.