On 22 June 2010 01:33, ian pettitt (RRes-BB) <ian.pett...@bbsrc.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 22 Jun 2010, at 00:19, "Jonathon Fernyhough"
> <j.fernyho...@gmail.com<mailto:j.fernyho...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> It should be (fairly easily) possible to configure PHP to send via an
> existing SMTP server, so you don't have to worry about setting up a full MTA.
>
> Otherwise Postfix does a pretty good job, IIRC.
>
> Jonathon
>
> (apologies for TP, via Android Gmail)
>
> On 21 Jun 2010 22:47, "Chris Rowson"
> <<mailto:christopherrow...@gmail.com>christopherrow...@gmail.com<mailto:christopherrow...@gmail.com>>
>  wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> Just wondering what mail agent you're using on your LAMP setups? I've
> been revisiting the subject while setting up a new Lucid server and
> have been a little surprised that there's not much info out there
> about setting up a simple SMTP server that doesn't receive email but
> just sends it when PHP tries to use sendmail to send email.
>
> Chris
>
> --
> <mailto:ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com>ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com<mailto:ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> <ATT00001..txt>
>
> I use postfix configured as a satellite system, so all mail is handled by
> another machine - my companies mail server.
>
> The setup is pretty straight forward, install and configure postfix and
> forward all mail from root etc through the this. Php mail will then work
> using this default system.  I have a complete setup notes, but they are at
> work and I can't get them until weds, if you can wait until then I can email
> them to you.
>
> Some of the php smtp settings are applicable to windows only, so check the
> php manual to save time trying to set things in php.ini that won't work on
> ubuntu - something I have done in the past.

I have always found exim trivial to set up on Ubuntu (and Debian)
boxes, so you might want to consider it.
I understand postfix and sendmail are more powerful and do better
throughput, but unless you are running a mail server for a company
exim will work fine

If you have an mta configured then I think php just works to send
mail, though it has been a while so can't remember

Anton
--
Anton Piatek
email: an...@piatek.co.uk

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a
significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.