On 06/08/10 21:18, Chris Rowson wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have an old 1Ghz Dell laptop here that I've promised to the after
> school care club that my son uses. The club provides care before and
> after school and during school holidays for kids from age 5 up to 12/13
> or so.
>
> The club is based in a church and doesn't have Internet access, so I
> wonder if anyone can suggest what kind of stuff I should put on this
> laptop that might be interesting for the kids to play with.
>
> As you might have guessed I intend to put Ubuntu on it!
>
> Thanks in advance,

Well my kids (especially my 4 year old) loves TuxPaint (actually my
elder two who are 10 and 8 love it too).  That would be a good start,
make sure you also get the extra stamps package too.

Other than that there is TuxMath, TuxTyping, GCompris, Super Tux and
Frozen Bubble which should run reasonably well.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head but maybe have a
look in the Ubuntu Software Centre for some other games etc (although
some of the games might require a quicker CPU or 3D acceleration).

I'd also possibly suggest maybe Xubuntu rather than Ubuntu on a 1GHz
machine as it'll run a bit quicker.

Rob