The Royal Society do, at least, appear to have someone on their advisory
board who seems to understand the problem.

>From their website:

Professor Matthew Harrison, Director of Education at The Royal Academy of
Engineering said: “Young people have huge appetites for the computing
devices they use outside of school. Yet ICT and Computer Science in school
seem to turn these young people off. We need school curricula to engage them
better if the next generation are to engineer technology and not just
consume it”.

(As far as I know, Matthew Harrison is no relation) :-)

Mark Harrison