On 13/10/10 13:49, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 13 October 2010 12:08, John Matthews<jake...@sky.com>  wrote:
>> Those who know, always seem to be those that stand there and say Ubuntu is
>> easy, easier than windows.
> It's easy if you know what you're doing. Same as rocket science or
> brain surgery. It's all about perspective. Many people who say 'ubuntu
> is easy' are almost always people who have had the pain of
> administering Windows systems for years and come to Ubuntu with that
> baggage. They probably find that Ubuntu fits their brain better and
> they feel at home with the way stuff works.

But that is what I mean, you have years of experience, and to you its
second nature. I have spent almost 4 years struggling to keep my Ubuntu
working. I never had problems like this on windows, I was even able to
help other people with windows problems.
>> If it was easy, and easier than windows, why did
>> so many people, when the big drive a few years back to to have Ubuntu
>> preinstalled, take their computers back.
> They didn't.
>
> http://blog.laptopmag.com/one-third-of-dell-inspiron-mini-9s-sold-run-linux
>
> "Dell attributes part of the Linux growth to competitive pricing on
> the Ubuntu SKUs. “When you look at the sweet spot for this category it
> is price sensitivity, and Linux enabled us to offer a lower price
> entry point,” added Dell senior product manager John New.
>
> According to Dell, the the return rate of Ubuntu running Mini 9s are
> comparable to the XP rate, which we are told is “very low.” “Our focus
> has been making sure that before the order is taken is that the
> customer knows what he is getting,” New added."
>
>> I know in places like Dixons and
>> Curries' which is where I bought my Netbook, the guys behind the counter
>> told me they got most of them back, because people couldnt even get their
>> internet connection to work, showds that was a waste of time. So saying,
>> preinstalled Ubuntu would make a difference, I think you'll find those that
>> did sell preinstalled, would tell you different.

Actually they did, regardless of how crap people are in those shops,
netbooks were being sold there with Linux preinstalled in them, I got
one. The first thing the guy said to me when I asked, is you do know
this is Linux, and we have gotten almost all of these machines back,
because people cant get them to work they wont connect to their
internet. That isnt Dell. Regardless of how much the shop assistance
know, is not the point.
> I wouldn't use Dixons / Currys as a shining example of IT Knowledge in
> the retail space. The vast majority of them are (in my personal
> opinion) clueless. They read the card next to the device they're
> selling, just a few seconds before the customer does, and then read it
> out. They're not trained in Linux/Ubuntu so they don't have a clue
> about it, spreading misinformation along the way. It also doesn't help
> that Microsoft actually provide materials to stores which dismisses
> Linux.
>
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10346669-62.html
>
>> I know my experiences tell me as somebody who isnt a programmer and who
>> basically self taught, say it isnt easy, and, help, well, that is another
>> matter. There is so much and so many different things to look for when you
>> have Ubuntu, that its confusing to say the least.
>>
> So is Windows. It's just that most people are used to Windows because
> it's been around a long time and people have it pre-installed on their
> computer when it comes out of the gate.

But at least, if there is a problem, somebody is there to help. You know
exactly what I mean there.
>> Windows as much as I hate it, is easier to set up than Ubuntu.
> I disagree. I recently installed Windows XP on my desktop computer for
> some light gaming. It took the best part of a day to get the OS and
> all the necessary patches and drivers located and installed. Some of
> the drivers are quite hard to find. The printer driver alone was
> hundreds of megs download. Even if I used the most up to date Windows
> 7 DVD it would still require significant pain to setup.
>
> With Ubuntu I put the CD in, ran the installer and all the updates and
> software I needed was done in an hour and two reboots.

That is you, you have the knowledge to deal with a problem, so it is
going to be easy for you, your not really a good example of somebody who
is new to Ubuntu.
>> So to say, its easier
>> than windows, and its the users fault, I think that is not a good thing to
>> put over. Sorry. I have said this myself before, it wont be program for
>> masses.
>>
> I have had very few calls from my mum asking for help with her Ubuntu
> system. She uses the same kinds of apps most people do.
>
> Al.

Sorry, but from somebody who has had to struggle since I installed this,
and still cannot get answers to problems I posted about years ago, such
as my network shares, video not working, and other minor things, I still
say sorry but that is wrong.

John.

--
Ubuntu User #30817