There's not a whole lot in the linux world which equates to quickbooks
or sage, unfortunately. It's a massive hole.

OpenERP is a solid but massive bit of software which is likely to be
overkill. I've had complaints from clients that it's really
user-unfriendly (and these were accountants, mindyou)

I know of some people who have had good luck with Turbocash (though the
developers are a bit odd, and I think the UK chart of accounts is fairly
limited...). There's also Postbooks, which apparently *looks* the
easiest and cleanest to me, but I've as yet not had a chance to try it
out properly.

There's a wikipedia page on "comparison of accounting systems" which may
help you out.

I would personally be interested to hear what your mate's reaction to
the software is, once he has one.

-g

--
Glen Mehn