On 14 November 2010 00:04, Alan Pope <a...@popey.com> wrote:
> On 13 November 2010 22:42,  <bod...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I'm gonna have to run through the installer again then, because I don't
>> remember seeing it automatically ask me about /home,
>
> It doesn't ask you about /home at all. It's a kinda hidden feature.
>
>> and if you were doing it manually and didn't specify a mount point for /home
>> and didn't format / then would anything actually happen?
>>

> If you were doing manual partitioning over the top of an existing
> linux install (i.e. a filesystem exists which contains /bin /etc /var
> /usr /home and so on, and you choose not to format that filesystem,
> and you choose to install on it, then it will recursively delete all
> files in /bin /etc /var /usr and so on, but _not_ touch /home within
> that filesystem.

Huh. I reinstalled from scratch yesterday due to upgrade issues with
10.10, and I wanted to use this feature, but I couldn't find out how
to do it. So I created a new partition and resized the old one, giving
me the chance to copy anything across I needed. Eventually I will
delete the old partition and expand the new one.

Tom