On 17 January 2011 10:59, Jon Spriggs <j...@sprig.gs> wrote:

> Less taxes, oh and paying the person who's installing Linux. And the HR
> person who's making sure they're doing everything right by the person. And
> electricity, to, you know, keep the building running while they're doing the
> installations. Oh, Buildings? Rent, council tax, etc. Heaven forbid? That
> £50/machine profit suddenly becomes £10/machine loss, if you're lucky, and
> probably a LOT worse.
>
> Sadly, I made the same sort of mistake in my GCSE Business Studies
> coursework 17 years ago, except my genius plan was to build custom-made
> machines from parts sourced from shops. The fact of the matter is that
> simply going in and asking for 50 machines, while it might have worked for
> Michael Dell (who did something similar with IBM to start out), isn't going
> to cut it in today's 1/2% margin markets

Okay, so you're now talking different things... because you're suggesting
that sourcing the parts, assembling them etc. costs less than £250
(including VAT)??

Do you know this?

If not, why don't these people get the machines pre-assembled from PC World
or whatever?  Probably find they'd do them for £200, so that's a potential
£100 mark-up AND they don't have to bother doing any assembly.

You can automate it, because you know the specification of the hardware.

"Installing Linux" will merely be a 5-minute disc image copy, hardly
resource-intensive is it?

Or have I missed something??

Sean