I think I have an answer for that (at least from what I remember from
economics 101). Or at least one of the below should be right

When there is little demand things get more expensive.
It's cheaper to batch install on computers that where fabricated to be used
with windows. I don't think there is a guy installing each windows drive.
Probably done in factory via the ethernet connection.
Linux emporium claim that the test all the kit before sending. to make sure
it works fine. With windows kits there is no need for that because they
where fabricated with windows in mind.
linux emporium seem to provide some support with the purchase. I have a
feeling it will be a bit more personalized attention than big Dell
callcentre.

I feel that by buying from linux emporium you might be colaborating on the
fight against "the man"

That being said. I have not bought from them. But I would seriously consider
it.

Andres

***********************************

> On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 09:29 +0000, Scrase, Eddie wrote:
> > Although I haven't bought a laptop from them, from past experience I can
> > recommend the Linux emporium (linuxemporium.co.uk).
>
> I've heard very good reports about them, but looking at their website, I
> thought they were a tad expensive.  Is their stuff higher spec than your
> average Computer World items?

That's always been a concern of mine... they always seem excessive in terms
of price vs. specification and I don't understand this, because surely
building a machine WITHOUT Windows (and its costly licences, even
considering OEM) ought to be CHEAPER?

So why do Linux Emporium laptops not start at about ?225 (if we consider
that you can buy a Windows one from Tesco and/or PC World for ?299 ?

Sean

--
Andrés Muñiz-Piniella