On 27 January 2011 19:57, Barry Drake <bdr...@crosswire.org> wrote:
> Windows 7 and dual boot is going to be a problem anyway unless you
> re-format and re-install Windows before installing Ubuntu.  But in any
> case it isn't difficult to reinstate a boot sector before installing
> grub... I would have thought there is a workaround for dual booting (if
> you MUST dual boot).

Apparently, it's not a problem with the installation process of either
Windows or Ubuntu. There are some recent Vista and Windows 7 programs
that implement their copy-protection by writing to an "unused" portion
of the boot sector. At least, it's unused by Windows, LILO and Grub 1.
However, it's a fairly vital part of the Grub 2 installation.

Also, the Windows program keeps writing to that part of the disk every
time you boot into Windows. So your whole computer fails to reboot
every time you use Windows. Which stops it being a dual-boot machine.

There was a post about the problem on Planet Ubuntu by the Grub 2
maintainer. I'm afraid I've forgotten his name, since it was a few
months ago now.

Hope this clears up the mystery.

Cofion/Regards,
Neil.