On 18 October 2011 14:37, Colin Law <clan...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Can you clarify that, do you mean that you saw the same issue on an
> earlier version of Ubuntu?  Your first post gave the impression this
> was a new problem.

Hello, I am coming back to post my findings, I have been experiencing
this problem with the last two releases of Ubuntu.

Currently Compiz is using 247MB of RAM, which is a lot, but as a
percentage of my current system RAM, it's negligible.

Chromium Nightly is the next highest user, which makes sense
considering I can have up to 100 tabs open at a time, however, when
all the chromium processes are killed, the system remains sluggish. It
usually uses around 200-220MB of RAM.

The final notable high user is Nautilus, running in around 130MB RAM.

Current swap usage is 160KB as my memory usage never actually goes
over the 8GB the system has installed. (I thought it was 6GB to start
with...)

CPU usage, with a few tabs open, system monitor, update manager and
Spotify is currently, 0.11,0.06,0.05, which is far from overloaded.

I am however currently experiencing this sluggishness.

Machine Specifications:
AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition (Quad Core at 3.41GHz)
6GB DDR3 1333MHz
2x 250GB Samsung 7200RPM Drives
NVIDIA 9600GT 1GB

Ubuntu Release 11.10
Kernel 3.0.0-12-generic-pae
Running Unity 3D & Docky
Available Disk Space: 92.5GB on one drive and about 114GB on the other.

I am going to try re-loading compiz now to see what happens.

Regards, Kris.

--
Regards, Kris Douglas.
 www.krisd.eu