On 29/03/16 21:32, Liam Proven wrote:
On 18 March 2016 at 22:49, Gareth France <gareth.fra...@cliftonts.co.uk> wrote:
I haven't yet been in the job long enough to figure out the reasoning behind
this software labyrinth.

There isn't one.

The sad fact is that most people in C21 IT are incompetent. They don't
understand systems in any real depth, not throughout -- modern systems
are so baroquely complex that almost no-one can. So there are rituals,
done without understanding, and a superstition that enough levels of
firewalling and virtualisation and encryption, if built from recent
code, especially *expensive* recent code, magically combine to make it
secure.

It's nonsense and totally untrue, but alas, such systems hold the
world together now.

The systems I work on are designed to interface with other software built by other companies to support their products. They mimic the product and trick the software into believing it is being used as intended. As a result half of the issues are out of the companies control. It's all a bit of a mess but in flux so a lot of it is due to change in the future.