Bought a new 3TB hard drive this week onto which I created a new GPT partition
table and a 3TB ext4 partition. This completed successfully and I used rsync
to copy some files onto it.

The next day, I was unable to mount the drive and so I ran fsck on it. This
failed pass 5: Checking group summary information with lots of block bitmap
differences.

I fixed these, but on running fsck a second time, these block differences were
back.

Now this drive is currently sat in an external USB tray so that I could copy
files across before replacing the one in the computer. Are these errors due to
it being on USB or is the drive faulty?