Hi

I'm after a bit of enlightenment from anybody who knows more about networking
than I do - which is probably most of you...

I have a home network which connects to a radio-based broadband service (very
reliable, incidentally). The data goes from the transceiver into a router which
feeds several devices directly over wired ethernet. One of these is a switch
which services other devices requiring wi-fi.

When using Filezilla or command line SSH to connect one device to another, I
find that some require the addition of ".local" to the remote hostname before
it's recognised while others don't. For example my desktop is only recognised
as "myDesktop.local", while my RPi2 is only recognised as "myRPi2", yet both
use direct wired ethernet back to the router.

Can anybody explain, please?

Thanks

Nige