Many thanks for the links provided regarding how to temp change the grub
config file at boot and indeed permanently.  Still the same though, no
splash screen on boot, although I have not attempted to change  the
/etc/default/grub file.  However, I did notice in there it said splash
quiet as opposed to quiet splash - which I did edit in the bootup along
with adding nomodeset - all to no effect.

I have researched further and last night even started the plymouth daemon
manually and managed to display the splash screen, so if it works manually
it should work auto also.

I am currently working on this
http://askubuntu.com/questions/362722/how-to-fix-plymouth-splash-screen-in-all-ubuntu-releases/

but before continuing I would welcome specifically some comment on the lines

echo FRAMEBUFFER=y | sudo tee /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
sudo update-initramfs -u

I guess the first line creates that splash file as I don't have one
currently.    The second line I guess invokes an up date which without
would render the first line a waste of time.  The third line is there to
update grub as a result of previous changes mentioned in the link to
/etc/default/grub.

I thought it might be best if I appended my grub file so here is without
all the usual commented lines.

GRUB_DEFAULT=0

GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash quiet"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=None

As always help and comments most welcome.
DaveG