Finally fixed the problem - not 100% but I'm now happy!

First of all including nomodeset in my grub config file had no effect
whatsoever - perhaps this is just one of the examples that defies the usual
fix.  Remember my machine is a desktop with proprietary drivers(installed
during the upgrade) for a NVIDEA card

So I fixed it like this - taking all
http://askubuntu.com/questions/362722/how-to-fix-plymouth-splash-screen-in-all-ubuntu-releases/
the usual precautions to ensure I had a reversion path back should things
go wrong.  I will not pretend that I knew everything I was doing, but took
things on trust as I say ensuring I could revert back.

I used these 2 links as my inspiration:-

http://askubuntu.com/questions/362722/how-to-fix-plymouth-splash-screen-in-all-ubuntu-releases/

http://askubuntu.com/questions/6033/enabling-nvidia-driver-messes-up-splash-screen

>From within a terminal screen:-

1.  sudo apt-get install v86d
2.  sudo vi /etc/default/grub  (I am a vi man but other editors could be
used)
3.  Added the following 2 lines in the appropriate place in the file -
commenting out any conflicting lines and of course saving the file
          GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600x32
          GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
4.  At the terminal prompt I then typed the following

         echo FRAMEBUFFER=y | sudo tee /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
        sudo update-initramfs -u
        sudo update-grub
5.  Exit the terminal screen, Shutdown and Reboot

Comment:-
There are ways of finding out the screen resolution capabilities of the
NVIDEA graphics card and I wanted 800x600x32 because of my low vision.
Read the second link above - but do not use hwinfo or install it - find out
the video capabilities inside a grub command session.

Added Bonus:-
This fix also fixed the fsck echo also - so that is no longer displayed
even though I suspect it still runs.

Remaining problems:-
Ubuntu logo is displayed on startup but after it disappears the flashing
dots remain for a while.  No Ubuntu logo appears on shutdown.  All well
known problems, but a fix for these will go on the backburner.

Thanks for your interest.