A side note: the closest existing bug seems to be bug 316000, but this
bug is distinct because this bug never manifests like that bug's
screenshot, and this bug never manifests when both screens are enabled,
while that bug only manifests if both screens are enabled.

I guess I should also mention that although I'm running the 2.7.0 Intel
driver from the x-updates PPA, I experienced the same behaviour with
stock Jaunty and with Intrepid.

--
Video corruption when disabling internal monitor
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.