The fglrx driver did work for me (ati 3200 onboard an Asrock A780-GM-LE) on the
final 9.04 distribution of ubuntu with the 2.6.28-11-generic kernel. (with some
issues)
If you have jaunty-proposed ticked in software sources you did get a new
2.6.28-12 version of the kernel
and fglrx crashes again.
The opensource radeon driver works best for me. (minus 3d) It seems that
everytime something updates
the close source driver crashes, you could argue about flawed by design but
this is probably not the place.

--
MASTER: fglrx does not support xserver 1.6
which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in ubuntu.