I have the exact same problem with an Intel 945GME (rev03) and an Acer monitor
connected via vga-out.
The highest resolution xrandr shows me is 1152x864, tough the monitor is
capable of 1280x1024.

Turning the monitor off and on and restarting X helps, but only until
the next reboot (state after resume from suspend is fine).

I also downgraded the intel xorg driver to 2.4 but the issue remained,
so I assume it's on the kernel side...

--
DDC works wrong with Acer AL1916 monitors
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.