Things have indeed improved in Karmic Alpha 2: in the (default) mirror
configuration the S-video output works perfectly.

Trying to turn mirroring off (which adds "Virtual" entry in xorg.conf)
breaks things, though - no login window appears at all. X does start
though, mouse moves, but other than mouse pointer the screen remains
blank. I can even log in blind and see from a console window that the
usual processes have started, but X remains black. I'm not sure if this
should be considered a different bug though.

--
[i945] TV out refresh rate is not correct using xrandr and intel 945 chipset
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.