I also have IBM ThinkPad A21p running Ubuntu 9.04 and I have the same video
driver problem as described and my screen looks exactly accordingly to the
picture above.
I always used to press Fn+F7 twice to toggle between display modes. The problem
is that I don t want to do this everytime and especially that the screen
resulution is max @800*600 and I m used to 1600*1200.
That sucks, coz U can t read anything that well in such a low resolution...
I search for a solution, a driver, that enables me to switch to 1600*1200 and
prevents the X-Server to seem broken.
The problem seems to be caused by a bad display detection of ubuntu, coz I
tried several Linux distros and only ubuntu (and I think Knoppix/Kanotix)
seemed to have that problem.
I really would like to do some troubleshooting with the help of you as experts
in Linux/bug cases and I will offer any possible help with my hardware.

--
IBM A21p display is corrupted
which is a direct subscriber.