I have Acer Aspire 5710Z with Intel GMA950 graphic card and VGA out.
Last week I bought a new lcd monitor Samsung SyncMaster 2343nw with VGA
input and with resolution of 2048x1152. My operating system is Ubuntu
8.10

When I plugged it in, I can only get 1440x900 out of that external lcd with
1200x800 on internal monitor. I changed Virtual resolution in xorg.conf to
2048x2048(maximum for GMA) and set my external monitor to be on top. I can get
then 2 monitors with extended desktop and Compiz fully working, but anything
above 1440x900 resolution on external lcd cause some strange artefacts on it. I
can't see anything there on that desktop.

I configure only the virtual resolution in xorg.conf and resolution in
gnome with "screen resolution" applet.

I was quite interested, how well would it work on Windows. XP no
problem, now using Vista with 2048x1152, so it is possible, it's not
that my card is not possible to drive it or the DAC is weak.

Any solution? Is it bad configuration or bug in driver?

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

--
GMA950 + external lcd does not work on high resolution
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/349412