@Bryce Harrington: This feature was apparently dropped from the latest
Natty release ( 2:1.9.99.901+git20110131.be3be758-0ubuntu1 -
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/x/xorg-server/xorg-
server_1.9.99.901+git20110131.be3be758-0ubuntu1/changelog ) by
Christopher James Halse Rogers (CCed) with the following comment:

* Drop 208_switch_on_release.diff; upstream

By "upstream" I figured it meant "Debian" (the title of the change was
"Merge from (unreleased) debian-experimental") and not freedesktop.org -
as I know they didn't commit this fix. On the other hand, I looked
everywhere and couldn't find any reference of such an upstream release
from Debian - and indeed after installing the latest xorg-server, the
functionality has disappeared.

As such I'm reopening this issue and I hope the patch will come back
before Natty is released. Again, thanks for all the effort.

which is a direct subscriber.

  Keyboard layout change on hotkeys press instead of release and do not
  work well with shortcuts