Public bug reported:

I try to test Ubuntu 11.04 with Nvidia's proprietary [Recommended] driver.
After restart the splash screen (with Ubuntu logo) simply freezes. It never
comes to Unity or GNOME desktop.

This computer has NVIDIA Corporation G92 [GeForce 8800 GT] graphics
card.

1) I have downloaded Natty daily and installed it from a USB-pen drive.
$ uname -a
Linux natty64 2.6.38-7-generic #35-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 15 21:33:06 UTC 2011
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

2) Activated the "NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version current)
[Recommended]" in the Additional Drivers dialog. The installation
completes OK and I reboot the computer.

$ dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia
ii  nvidia-common    0.2.28                        Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
ii  nvidia-current     270.30-0ubuntu1    NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel
module and VDPAU library
ii  nvidia-settings    270.29-0ubuntu1    Tool of configuring the NVIDIA
graphics driver

3) Ubuntu freezes during reboot.
The screen shows a Ubuntu-logo with some dots. It never comes to the desktop.

$ lspci -vv | grep -i nvidia
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce 8800 GT]
(rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8261

$ lsb_release -rd
Release:        11.04

** Affects: nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in ubuntu.

  Natty: Cannot boot with  proprietary NVIDIA driver for GeForce 8800
  GT.