Binary package hint: policykit-1-gnome

I am running my PC with AMD64 dual core processor having  nvidea gforce
6100 chipset. I am dual booting with ubuntu natty11.04 64 bit and
Edubuntu 10.10. On starting the PC  the monitor shows the dialogue
"resolution not supported. maximum resolution supported is 1440*900".
This happened after updating Ubuntu 11.04 to alpha 1. The system without
showing the grub menu booted into ubuntu 11.04 but the screen is all
garbled and nothing can be seen only the mouse cursor is visible.  The
only way to boot is through live usb and reinstalling grub from the
other OS i.e. Ubuntu 10.10. After the grub is reinstalled the grub menu
is visible on reboot but on booting into ubuntu 11.04 only the mouse is
visible and the screen is filled with colourfull patches. The only way
to log into the system is by way of editing the grub entry for ubuntu
11.04 by replacing "quite splash" with "nomodeset".

** Affects: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (Ubuntu)

--
on boot the monitor shows resolution not supported. maximum resolution
supported is 1440*900