Similar experience here on natty beta 2, Geforce 7300 LE, generic-pae
kernel. I just used the nvidia driver that jockey-gtk offered, and then
you get black and white video garbage during boot, then get half a
loaded desktop that is frozen. The mouse moves, and you can ctrl+alt+del
to shut it down, during which it gives more garbled text white on black
random fonts. Its was the same for alpha 3, beta 1. The experimental 3D
Nouveau driver also locks up the desktop. As yet, I have not been able
to even see what unity looks like :-(

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  Xorg freeze