I will check the new kernel out. What is odd to me, that in case of the
second login after the boot (either with logging out first, or after the
crash when gdm displayed again) it does not happen, only at the first
time. The only difference I could notice that in case of the first login
X seems to use tty7 while it's tty8 later (as I've commented already). I
had the idea that maybe it's related to my boot problem that no splash,
text consoles etc can be seen only some kind of odd "bar code" like
image.

Anyway I would be keen to help with bisecting however it can be hard,
since the crash sometimes need a hour or so to happen, so I can't be
sure exactly (at least not within a "sane" time) that the given kernel
is OK or not. But I will see ...

  [natty] X often crashes since upgrade to natty