** Description changed:

  Image
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/20100406.1/lucid-desktop-i386.iso
  MD5Sum   8f323f741fefdb3e9e72aaa5666b2d6e
  "Check disc for defects" (run on a different computer than the test system)
reports no errors.

  I booted from a CD, chose English, and selected "Try Kubuntu without
  installing".  After ~10 seconds the screen flashed on and off
  repeatedly, then stayed in the black-but-powered-on state.  Eventually I
  heard the KDE start-up sound.  The screen did not light up when I tried
  moving the cursor or pressing keys.  Ctrl-Alt-F1 and Ctrl-Alt-F7 did not
  switch to other TTYs or sessions.

  The test computer is an HP Elitebook 8440p model WH255UT#ABA. Chipset:
  Mobile Intel QM57 Express, graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator
  HD.

  Note especially that this computer _does_ boot up successfully with a
  year-old Xubuntu 9.10 Live CD.
+
+ [lspci]
+ 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 12)
+ 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 12)
+     00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400
Series Chipset Thermal Subsystem (rev 06)

  [arrandale] lucid beta 2 live shows black screen