Public bug reported:

Binary package hint: xorg

I have had Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop (see details in attachments) since
September 2010. I have been using kernel modeset. This one has a hybrid
Intel/ATI display. I disabled the ATI one and only used the Intel. Here
is the relevant lspci output:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

For a while this laptop suspended and resumed with no problem
whatsoever. I use this laptop as a work machine that I suspend/resume
often (once or twice a day if not more). Recently (for a few months) the
laptop sometimes wake up with a bizzare behavior on the LCD display: it
flashes a bright light then the LCD went black. Never to recover until I
rebooted the laptop. Trying to suspend and resume again won't help.

The result from dmesg etc came from a fresh reboot, so it might not show
anything there.

Once I tried to "scavenge" for debug info or other logged problems when
this happened by gathering all the dmesg, /var/log/kern,
/var/log/messages or /var/log/Xorg.0.log -- they did not contain
anything useful AFAIK. I can attach them if you want.

The difficulty is that this bug would not appear consistently. It only
appears randomly and I can't tell when it would happen. I am filing this
bug report just in case other Thinkpad users with intel integrated
graphics also experienced similar problem (or if it has been reported
elsewhere). I have a suspicion that perhaps some kernel update in the
past caused this bug, since it never happened before.

Another point to consider: from time to time I would use xrandr to
duplicate or extend the display to external VGA projector. (`xrandr -q'
is usually all I did and the magic is done). Not sure if this has to do
with the problem said above.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
Package: xorg 1:7.5+5ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-31.61-generic 2.6.32.32+drm33.14
Uname: Linux 2.6.32-31-generic x86_64
Architecture: amd64