Interesting, as far as I can remember, it was also my case, I mean X
crashed during typing always (?). Nowdays I can't reproduce this problem
anymore though ... (I am not sure if there is connection, but about
since then when I applied GRUB_TERMINAL=console in /etc/default/grub
since otherwise I have no text console just some odd garbage on the
screen if I switch back to text consoles with CTRL-ALT-F1 or so).

  [natty] X often crashes since upgrade to natty