I'd like to strongly emphasize my opinion that this is certainly NOT a
duplicate of #554984.
Bug #554984 is about enabling tracpoint scrolling generally.

THIS bug, however, is about X forgetting certain settings, namely the
trackpoint wheel emulation, which have been enabled via xinput, during an S3
(suspend to ram) cycle.
Since X is not being restarted in the course of this event, it should also not
change or forget its settings.

Putting the required statements into .xsessionrc as recommended in
#554984 as a workaround does not apply for this bug, too, since that
file is only evaluated at X startup and not at resume from s3.

** This bug is no longer a duplicate of bug 554984
   [lucid] enable trackpoint scroll emulation by default

which is subscribed to xinput in Ubuntu.

  X forgets xinput settings on suspend