On Thu, 2011-07-28 at 17:55 +0000, tomdean wrote:

I installed FreeBSD 8.2 on the laptop.  I now have three systems,
FreeBSD, Windows 7, and Ubuntu.

When I boot ubuntu and then reboot, I get a message from BIOS stating
that the laptop was either shutdown or suspended (090D) because of
overheating.  There is no evidence of this.  I booted from a cold
system, 68*F, then rebooted as soon as I logged on.  The exhaust air
temperature is approximately ambient.  I still get a hang with a blank
screen about 60% of the startup attempts.  The network has not been
started.  I do not see the ubuntu splash.

When I boot either FreeBSD or Windows 7, I NEVER have a hang and NEVER
see the (090D) message.  FreeBSD is using the vesa driver and Windows 7
is using the mfg's driver.

I believe this problem is related to KMS or X startup.

  Ubuntu 11.04 frequently freezes on boot with blank screen