I've been trying some different things today, and I found that if I
downgrade mesa to 7.11-0ubuntu4 I've so far been unable to reproduce the
issue. The problem has been elusive at times before though, so it's not
definite, but I've gone back and forth between mesa versions a number of
times and I've been able to consistently reproduce the issue with the
newer mesa but not the older. I'm going to go ahead and add a mesa task
at this point to see if we can get anywhere.

** Also affects: mesa (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  Desktop becomes completely unresponsive