I was browsing around to see if this was a localized problem on certain
machines but I guess not. I have the same issue on both ubuntu and ubuntu 2d
logins. It scrambles the the screen for about 5 secs before desktop comes up
(on 2d, I had an extra gray screen). I have recreated each scenario I could
think of,
1. Fresh install of 12.04
2. Upgrade from previous LTS to 12.04
3. Reconstruct image file of 12.04 before install(kinda works but will have bad
graphics on login which is almost near impossible to login without auto login)

I am currently working on getting 12.04 working correctly on Dual Boot
on my Asus Transformer and I did come acoss this issue after the whole
install completed. Logged in and bam came out, looked like bad reception
in tv. I was able to modify certain parts of  ubuntu start up what my
fiends and I were working on to help alleviate  the stress load on my
tab. Apparently we disabled something and the errors went away for that
portion just after log in. I tried to recreate he same environment on my
Asus laptop running nvidia 9800m and it looked like I had found a
solution. Well almost except that I had another computer set for auto
log in and it didnt run into any problems. On a manual log in, I get
super artificial images that it becomes impossible to log in. Had to
reinstall ubuntu all over again.

I cant post my pics up yet, I was at work when this was going down and I
took video of the process so Ill take screen caps of what happen. FIle
wise, I will find a place to upload and see if you guys can confirm the
script works just remember to enable auto log in before restarting.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Corrupted graphics after the login  until the unity launcher appears