I too had a very unstable lucid 10.04.4LTS system since the upgrade of
the Nvidia drivers to 295.20 from the X-Update PPA.

My issues included:

1. Occasional system hangs, with frozen screen with the mouse movement
still responding.

2. GL Screensaver activating = occasional hang

3. Compiz desktop effects + maximizing a window = occasional screen
freeze!

4. Full screen video playback (especially with HD content .mkv files) =
occasional screen freeze!

5. Clean shutdown stopped. System would shutdown, with blank screen and
system fan running. Hard power off (holding power button down) was the
only way to turn the laptop off.

I then downgraded my Nvidia drivers to 280.13 (luckily was still in the
repos) and "locked" the packages.

Now my system is back to it's usual stable self. No more random screen
freezes and more importantly, system now shuts down cleanly (no more
holding the power button until full power off).

My system is:

Dell XPS M1530
Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS (2.6.32-39-generic)

Let me know if you require any additional information.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  [x-updates] Nvidia 295.20 regression - Gnome Shell becomes crashy