Nvidia is aware of the issue.

We have been made aware of an interaction problem between the fix
contained in the newest release any any card with a chip older than G80,
inclusive. This includes the full GeForce 6 and 7 series as well as
GeForce 8800GTX and first-gen 8800GTS. We are actively working on
resolving this issue and will provide an update as soon as possible.

The symptoms can include graphical corruption, performance issues,
crashes and temporary hangs.

The release should be perfectly safe to use with more recent cards than
that; I'll update this thread ASAP.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Nvidia 295.40 - Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 2 Fresh Install (slow performance in
  Unity 3D, and EQ Overflow)