It's not really a separate touchpad, it's a /dev/input/mouseX device
registered by the mousedev driver for the same touchpad, kind of a
legacy mouse device for applications that need that sort of thing. It's
there in the good and bad case, and X seems to be (correctly) ignoring
it.

I think you may be onto something with the keyboard remove being
related. I don't know what's going on, and I don't see it on my MBA 4,1,
but dmesg does show usbhid devices disappearing and reappearing about 18
seconds after boot. Actually it looks like the usbhid module is unloaded
and reloaded. If I rmmod then insmod usbhid on my machine my touchpad
stops working until I restart X.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  MacBookAir 4,1 trackpad does not work with evdev/multitouch driver