Latest news after two more weeks of using 12.04:
- Crashes became less frequent but were indeed not gone both with the 3.4 as
well as with the latest 3.2 kernel
- Apport no longer 'detected' any of the crashes so I was unable to send out
any reports about them (regression in Apport?)
- Since the situation was unworkable for me and no solution is in sight, I have
installed a separate video card. I don't expect the crashes to return now. If
they do, I will of course let this know.

One funny detail is my laptop - it's running rock-solid with 12.04 even
though it also has an i5 (m520 instead of 2500) with an i915 integrated
GPU. Googling around suggests that this CPU is of the 'old' Nehalem
architecture instead of Sandy Bridge, which would really pin-point the
problem to Sandy Bridge CPU's. It's also running a lower res though. I
will notice next week if this makes a difference when I get back to work
(it's connected to an external 1920x1200 monitor there).

  [sandybridge-gt1] GPU lockup with WARNING: at
  /build/buildd/linux-3.2.0/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.c:413
  __gen6_gt_wait_for_fifo+0x94/0xa0 [i915]()