While this is reported against Ubuntu, I am experiencing the same thing
in Kubuntu. I have a dual monitor system with nvidia drivers:

$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  295.53  Fri May 11 23:28:10 PDT
2012
GCC version:  gcc version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5)

$ lspci | grep -i nvidia
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G86 [Quadro NVS 290] (rev
a1)

When I run with desktop effects turned off things actually run quite
nicely. No problems. However, if I turn on the desktop effects I can use
the system for 5-30 minutes before it freezes. Most of the time my mouse
moves but that is it. keyboard is dead. I can ssh in from another
machine and I see xorg is running at 100%. It does respond to a reboot
command.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu 12.04 hangs