Public bug reported:

Last night, I dist-upgraded my karmic desktop. X wouldn't start. I then
noticed that the nvidia-glx-185 package didn't replace the nvidia-
glx-180 package I already had installed.

I manually installed nvidia-glx-185 (185.18.31-0ubuntu1). When booting
my Thinkpad T61, when X is supposed to start, the LCD screen turns off
and the laptop hangs.

I tried installing nvidia-glx-173, but the module won't build with recent
karmic kernels. (See bug 397314 and bug 395635)
I had to install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau to get X again. (which I why I
didn't use ubuntu-bug to generate this bug.)

This morning I again tried getting nvidia-glx-185 to work, but failed.

Attached is the Xorg.0.log when the laptop hangs.

** Affects: nvidia-graphics-drivers-180 (Ubuntu)

--
nvidia-glx-185 on karmic hangs laptop with black screen
which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-180 in ubuntu.