I'm experiencing this bug too. Intel Graphics here too. However i'm
running an Acer 1810TZ laptop, so no Thinkpad.

I have attached the output of the following commands:

sudo lshw -C display > xbuginfo.txt;
lsb_release -a >> xbuginfo.txt;
uname -a >> xbuginfo.txt

Let me know if there are any logs I can attach that might help too. Hope
this bug gets fixed soon, because it's rather annoying to loose my work
each time my laptop suspends.

Thanks!

** Attachment added: "xbuginfo.txt"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/966744/+attachment/3199008/+files/xbuginfo.txt

  Resume from suspend leaves me with black screen or a screen of the
  desktop before it suspended (though the mouse still moves/changes
  cursor)