I have seen this issue on various intel integrated video chips.
The issue seemed to be caused by the KVM switch at first, but it did not return
to a proper resolution when it was removed from it.
I found a workaround here:
http://robert.penz.name/219/workaround-for-the-ubuntu-problem-with-kvm-switches/
In the comment someone mentiones:
1. Get a working xorg.conf file for your system using whatever method
2. Get in a terminal the modeline corresponding to your monitor and desired
resolution using :
gtf 1920 1200 60

the modeline needs to be proper for your screen and then added to the
monitor section.

I have not had this issue before, I hope something can be done to
"autofix" this when a monitor is plugged.

  Resolution change with KVM switch on Precise