robru apport-retrace'd the gnome-panel crash here:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/1159968/
This appears to be bug #948667 which already has like a hundred dupes.  I may
try to reproduce that if I have some time but no promises.

gnome-panel is not used in Unity, and afaik not required for GnomeShell
3D.  It's only used as the fallback.  So the crash is probably a
secondary issue.

meanwhile... robru reports after doing a dist-upgrade gnomeshell is back
to functionality, so presumably the issue got fixed elsewhere.

  Gnome Shell is using the 2d fallback mode and gnome-panel is crashing
  a lot.