My findings so far (with my T420s):

- disabling the touchpad with 'xinput disable/enable' works as many times as I
like
- disabling the touchpad with the hotkey fails to enable it, even though the
logfile gets a new "touchpad found" entry, and the same with the old driver
version... Logging out (=xserver restart) makes it work again

so I'm not sure if it really has regressed with the new version. Would
still like to know if downgrading the driver (to ~precise1) makes it
work again for Nathaniel or others.

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (Ubuntu Precise)

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (Ubuntu Precise)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Timo Aaltonen (tjaalton)

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Xorg crashed with SIGSEGV in XIGetDeviceProperty()