** Description changed:

  Hi,

  I am barely able to send this report from ubuntu-bug software.
  I have this system with FIC VA-503+ mainboard and NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 M64.
  It is probably the most unreliable computer I have ever had with Ubuntu.
  Here are the symptoms I have seen.

- 1. Frequent freeze (50% of the time during boot up (Nouveau displays a
message saying that GPU has crashed, and several seconds later the computer
will freeze.)
+ 1. Frequent freeze (50% of the time) during boot up (Nouveau displays a
message saying that GPU has crashed, and several seconds later the computer
will freeze.)
  2. Sudden freeze during use
  3. Sudden reverting back to log in screen

  For 1, note that the freeze during boot up is most severe with NVIDIA RIVA
TNT2 M64 only.
  It seems to not have too many boot up freeze problems with other NVIDIA
graphics cards (i.e., GeForce 2 MX, GeForce 4 MX, and GeForce FX 5200).
  Same with ATI Technologies graphics cards like Radeon 9250 and Radeon 9800
Pro.
  For 2, sometimes when the computer freezes, I still see some access going on
with the hard drive, but it will eventually stop.
  Keyboard and mouse will completely freeze.
  For 3, it happens "some times," not frequently, but I have observed it a few
times.
  I did clean AGP and PCI connectors several times (Frequent cause of system
instability from my extensive experience of testing hardware with Linux.).
-         A little off topic, but I have a similar generation VIA Technologies
chipset-based mainboard (FIC KA-6011, VIA Technologies Apollo Pro133 chipset),
and while this mainbord doesn't have the same instability with NVIDIA RIVA TNT2
M64, it has frozen the computer when I was applying updates via Update Manager.
+         A little off topic, but I have a similar generation VIA Technologies
chipset-based mainboard (FIC KA-6011, VIA Technologies Apollo Pro133 chipset),
and while this mainbord doesn't have the same instability with NVIDIA RIVA TNT2
M64, it has frozen the computer when I was applying updates via Update Manager.
  As as result, that installation of Ubuntu (10.04.4 LTS 32-bit) seems to have
gotten corrupted, and I can no longer automatically apply updates to that
installation of Ubuntu.
  Is there a bug in the of VIA Technologies device drivers when used with
relatively older VIA Technologies hardware like Apollo MVP3 or Apollo Pro133?
  Perhaps, VIA Technologies AGP GART device driver or PATA device driver can be
the culprit here.

  System Configuration:
-
+
  - Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS 32-bit
-   * All patches issued in the last 2 weeks have been applied
-   * Linux 2.6.32-43-generic
+   * All patches issued in the last 2 weeks have been applied
+   * Linux 2.6.32-43-generic
  - FIC VA-503+ mainboard
-   * BIOS Version JE439 (I believe this is the last release version.)
-   * VIA Technologies Apollo MVP3 chipset
+   * BIOS Version JE439 (I believe this is the last release version.)
+   * VIA Technologies Apollo MVP3 chipset
  - AMD K6-2 (I know it's old.)
-   * 450 MHz
-   * 100 MHz FSB
+   * 450 MHz
+   * 100 MHz FSB
  - 512 MB PC100 DDR SDRAM
-   * 256 MB PC100 SDRAM DIMM X 2
-   * Passes Memtest86+ v4.00 test in flying colors
+   * 256 MB PC100 SDRAM DIMM X 2
+   * Passes Memtest86+ v4.00 test in flying colors
  - NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 M64 graphics card
-   * 32 MB SDRAM
-   * Universal (1.5V/3.3V) AGP
+   * 32 MB SDRAM
+   * Universal (1.5V/3.3V) AGP
  - Intel 1000 Mbps Ethernet PCI card
  - Maxtor 91360D8 13.6 GB PATA hard drive
  - AT keyboard
  - PS/2 mouse
-
+
  Regards,
-
+
  fpgahardwareengineer

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
  Package: xorg 1:7.5+5ubuntu1.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-43.97-generic 2.6.32.59+drm33.24
  Uname: Linux 2.6.32-43-generic i586
  Architecture: i386