@Andy:
Thanks for the very useful conf file!

It seems that sometime in 2010/2011 the default directory has switched from
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ ... so we should use that
instead. There is already a 50-synaptics.conf file there. Currently I've pasted
your config in a new 52-synaptics-x230.conf and it works well*.
But for a proper fix the responsible Ubuntu maintainers should put it into the
already present 51-synaptics-quirks.conf (which is obviously meant for such an
occasion) with the correct MatchTag.

I'd provide the MatchTag myself if I knew how to get it properly, but
'udevadm info --export-db' doesn't seem to offer anything directly
useful and 'xinput -list' gives the fairly generic 'SynPS/2 Synaptics
TouchPad'.

* As an aside, I'm not sure if your config is 100% tuned, because my touchpad
still jumps (just a few pixels) when moving slow-ish over the screen, but much
less than before and I'm generally using the trackpoint anyway, so it's no big
deal for me.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Jumpy Mouse Cursor using Thinkpad X230 Touchpad