I was having the problem using desktop.
Intel i3
MSI H55m-E33 mobo
Asus ENGT 240 gpu
8g ram at the time, now 16g

Constant freezes with no recourse other than powering down. I am now
using Linux Mint 13 Cinnimon, 3.2.0-23generic with not so much as one
hickiup. When I first switched to Mint I was still on the 8g ram so
that's a non issue. I give up wondering what the issue really is, Mint
works for me. I think there have been a couple who have had a problem or
two though, IDK.....

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.