Hi, I'm also getting this on 12.04. My machine is a Toshiba Portege R100
with a Trident Microsystems CyberBlade XP4m32 (rev 91) graphics card
running on the xserver-xorg-video-trident driver. The desktop defaults
to Unity 2D, I think because of the limitations of my graphics card.

I'm not running unclutter.

It SEEMS to only happen with DMZ-White.

For me this issue is intermittent. 90% of the time, restarting and THEN
logging out and back in restores the cursor to normal. A simple restart
or log out almost never works (By "normal" I mean that it doesn't
disappear over icons.) If the cursor is behaving normally, I can
reliably "cause" the problem by starting Software Center.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-evdev in Ubuntu.

  mouse pointer disappears in ubuntu (11.04 onwards...)