For me this is still an issue (on the stable 13.10), but (un)fortunately
I have no idea how to reproduce it or what factors (do not) contribute
to it.

So far, I seem to have found:
- the version of nvidia-drivers or the use of nouveau is irrelevant
-  in Gnome, I have the impression that a freeze is much more likely when using
multiple workspaces
- it seems to happen very much less frequently when using Unity than with Gnome
sessions (but I probably don't use the workspaces in Unity as much as in Gnome)

Currently, I experience a freeze in Gnome-Shell within 1-3 hours after
startup/reboot. I will happily grab the daily snapshot and see if it
still happens there and then upload the apport-collect data.

  Ubuntu 13.10 random screen freeze while Normal OS activites