I didn't have a DisplayPort cable before.  I used an analog VGA cable
and hotplug detection worked reliably.

I could boot a 12.04 LTS LiveCD and test it, if it's important.

I'd like to help debug this.  It would help if I knew how hotplug
detection is supposed to work, and what tools there are for me to see
where it gets lost.   Does the Intel video kernel driver do the
detection?  Does it poll or wait for an interrupt?  How does the kernel
communicate hotplug events to userspace?  What tool do I run to watch
for those events?

  8086:0126 [Lenovo a ThinkPad X220] DisplayPort-2-DVI not hotplugging